With todays announcement of an inquiry into the Iraq war Iraq war inquiry to be in private one might have thought that Gordon Brown was sidestepping critics by doing exactly what they were asking him to do.
Personally I don’t see much point in yet another inquiry after Butler & Hutton, but that’s not really the point.The calls for an inquiry have become a thorn in Gordon Brown’s side, something that he receives regular criticism on, and something which he can set in motion relatively easily in order to assuage public opinion.
So a quick win then ?
Well no – because it will be held in private – for “security reasons”. Which means the waste of time that would nonetheless have lifted some of the pressure from the Prime Minister, will instead still be a waste of time, and will only increase the pressure on him. Does anyone think for one second that this will appease the likes of The Stop the War Coalition ? I don’t think so !
Does he not have any one to give him sensible advice ?
Northern Heckler is a left of centre blogger.
I’m in my late 40’s and have spent my career as a teacher in special education – largely teaching children with severe learning difficulties.
I’ve been Head Teacher of two Special Schools
None of the opinions presented on this site represent the policies of any schools past or present where I may have worked, their Governing bodies, any of their Governors, or their Local Authorities
Also please see my Comments Policy
- and no it's not my real name. I do have good reasons for that though - it's not just cowardice !
- Voting begins in Scottish referendum
- Australia in 'beheading plot' raids
- US House approves Obama Syria plan
- NFL rocked by new violence arrest
- Murder 'comes naturally' to chimps
- Argentina tries 'baby theft' doctors
- Ukraine president in key US visit
- No DNA matches in Thai murder probe
- Kate withdraws from Malta visit
- BBC team attacked in southern Russia
- 38,721 visitors
- Flu Jabs do not give you flu ! January 30, 2013In my Facebook feed this morning was a link to this “News” story :Piers Morgan receives flu vaccine injection from Dr. Oz, then gets sick The article relates that celebrity UK journalist Piers Morgan, appeared in US television having a flu jab, live, in an apparent attempt to convince the public of the safety and […]northernheckler
- So snow causes a few problems – stop whingeing about it. January 19, 2013Every so often there is some snow in the UK. Not very often. Actually it would be probably better to say – about once a year, but actually not even as often as that, about twice every two years – but sometimes we go three or four years in between – we get some snow […]northernheckler
- Facebook stories on Delhi Murdered Woman are not all they seem January 3, 2013A lot has been put on line already about the horrendous gang rape, and murder of an Indian student in Delhi. Many of you will have come across variations of this post which is pretty much “viral” on Facebook : The post shows what appears to be, pictures of the Indian student – on the […]northernheckler
- Profiteering ? December 9, 2012A quick blog this. This afternoon I visited Bletchley Park – home of the legendary codebreakers – it was a Christmas Fair – mainly in aid of Milton Keynes College, and was quite a fun event. While I was there we had a coffee in the Cafe in Hut 4 – one of the original […]northernheckler
- Election Special November 16, 2012I’ve decided I’m going to try and blog more often. Here’s my starter for 10 … I’ve wrestled with my conscience about whether to vote in yesterday’s elections for Police Commissioners. It struck me right from the start that these elections would be marked by a mixture of total apathy, and by outright opposition. If […]northernheckler
- Wishful thinking on the Olympic clap-o-meter September 3, 2012Lots of activity on social networks tonight about current Chancellor & wannabe PM George Osborne getting booed before presenting a medal at the Paralympics, and ex Chancellor and ex PM Gordon Brown getting cheered. Brilliant – sounds fantastic. Have a look at the videos and see what you think Here’s George : And here’s Gordon […]northernheckler
- Phonics – 100% successful ? I’m sorry but that’s simply not true. June 18, 2012I spotted this article on the BBC News website today : BBC News – Teachers’ unions urge rethink of phonics checks – Have a listen to the interview half way down the page. It’s an extract from the Radio 4 Today programme (18th June 2012), and features John Humphries interviewing both Mary Bousted of the […]northernheckler
- Pantomime, Pasties and Election failures, some observations and a moan April 1, 2012This has been one of the weirdest 10 days or so in politics for some time, and pretty much all of the bad stuff has happened to the Tory led coalition government. Pretty much. The Budget was always going to be a toughie for George Osborne – but because everyone knew that, to an extent […]northernheckler
- David Lammy doesn’t know the law on smacking children January 30, 2012UPDATE : Since clicking the ‘Publish’ button I spotted the article on Liberal Conspiracy which covers pretty much the same ground as this article – Give it a read, there’s a link at the bottom. The Daily Mail in this article on David Lammy MP’s recent comments regarding the smacking of children, Labour MP: Smacking […]northernheckler
- We’re all in this together December 5, 2011I spotted two news articles today, which were reasonably interesting in themselves, but didn’t have me salivating with rage or frothing with indignation. Taking them both together though, they threw up a couple of interesting numbers. The first article was this 37 Tory donors with a combined fortune of £10,258,000,000, have gifted the Tory party […]northernheckler
- Flu Jabs do not give you flu ! January 30, 2013
Networked blogs on Facebook
- Is it just the Sky coverage or is the atmosphere at the Chelsea game really dead? : 13 hours ago
- @little_mavis to be fair he did embrace the peace process eventually.I find it hard to think of him saying anything other than "NO !" though : 2 days ago
- @geordieboy1956 @PeterTatchell @natalieben tell me who wants to pay another lot of income tax : 2 days ago
- @PeterTatchell @natalieben we already have. They're called local councils. : 2 days ago
- When I was growing up life seemed so simple,Rolf Harris was a good guy, Ian Paisley was a bigot,Martin McGuinness was a terrorist.Wha'gwan ? : 2 days ago
- Just doing an Asda cheese bagel. You don't see many cheese bagels around. Is there a reason for that ? Not kosher or something ? : 3 days ago
- Drinking Vimto squash to defeat my cold. Ok it's not 'bena 'bena but it's still yummy : 3 days ago
- Having coffee in McD's with ma belle femme @TinaSmith96 : 4 days ago
- @TinaSmith96 hello : 4 days ago
- @AJEnglish How do you work that out then ??? : 5 days ago
Tags#I'mVotingLabour #leadersdebate #welovethenhs Adam Boulton Andrew Marr Andy Burnham BBC blog blogs Brown Cameron cancer cigarettes comments Conservative Conservatives David Cameron David Miliband Disability Ed Balls Ed Miliband education election Election 2010 electoral reform expenses Football gay General Election 2010 George Osborne Gordon Brown Hannan Health homophobia Huddersfield immigration iphone Iraq John Bercow John Major Labour Labour leadership election Liberal democrats London Mail Margaret Thatcher media Member of Parliament Michael Gove MP news NHS OFSTED politics Polls press primaries racism Religion school schools science silly season special education special schools Summer Sun telegraph Tony Blair Tories tory twitter unions Unite William Hague